Image Map Image Map Image Map

The Wicked Witch of the West

In the past month or so since I told you guys about my 100 in 2012 Project, I've been reading book after book, waiting for one good enough to share with you guys.
The Time Traveller's Wife, for instance? I adored it, every page.  And of course rereading Harry Potter was wonderful too.  
But I've been waiting for the book that I wanted to tell you guys about. I couldn't have told you what I was waiting for; I just knew that when I read it, I'd know.
Well, this morning I finished Wicked, the first book in a four-part series called The Wicked Years by Gregory Maguire.
I'm sure plenty (if not all) of you have heard of it.  It's a Broadway musical, for crying out loud! But I strongly think that this book is worth mentioning.
In case you haven't seen the play, Wicked chronicles the "life and times" of the Wicked Witch of the West from the beloved story The Wizard of Oz, from birth till her well-known death.
And for those of you who have seen the musical, or at least know the gist of it, I promise you that the book has so much more to it than the Broadway rendition.*
Maguire beautifully writes about a world we haven't visited since Dorothy killed the Witch, and in so much more detail than L. Frank Baum did in the original fairytale that we all know and love.
From the first page till the last, I was absolutely spellbound, and I already can't wait until my copy of Son of a Witch, the second book in the series, arrives!

<3

*I'm not saying that the musical, Wicked wasn't amazing. I saw it a few years ago, and I absolutely adored it!