Image Map Image Map Image Map

"Write About Us"

At work once, in my first waitressing job, one of the cooks told me to write about us some day.
Not him specifically, but the restaurant - the employees, the customers, the regulars.
Jokingly he asked me if, when I became a "big-time journalist", I'd still remember them, still take the time to tell their story.

And it's strange, because I think I'll always be telling their story because it's such an important part of my own.  I spent almost two years at that job, learning the ins and outs of a restaurant that, eventually, I became a piece of even as all the pieces I'd started with broke off and were replaced; the same way that now, I've been replaced.

I've already written about them - about a woman who ate lunch at the same table almost every day, always ordering a rum and coke and telling us about her late husband, "Jack".  About the good nights, and the nights I never wanted to put an apron on again.  About the coworkers who taught me that bitters and lemon work better than any old wives tale at getting rid of hiccups.

I remember so many pieces of that job - the 4th of July when the bartender told the cooks and the waitresses to take a break, to go outside and enjoy the fireworks with the rest of our town.  The nights I left wanting to cry, and the customers who pushed me to that point.  The businessmen who, on Christmas Eve, left me a 200% tip and a note to "have a merry Christmas!".  The regulars who knew my name, and who's drink order I never even had to ask for.  The coworkers who made the bad nights seem not as bad as they felt.

I've spent the last two years writing about them - about the restaurant and the people in it, and the lessons they've taught me - and honestly, I'll probably write about them for the rest of my life even though, by the end, I couldn't wait to get out.

<3

Facebook     ~     Twitter     ~     Pinterest     ~     Bloglovin'