Image Map Image Map Image Map

The Driving Issue

Yesterday I mentioned that I'm working on getting my driving permit, at the ripe ol' age of 21.  The past 5 years of being one of the only people my age who don't drive has really shown me quite how judgey people can be about that one little piece of plastic...  So today, I thought I'd share 5 of the most common judgements I hear when people learn I've never driven a car.

Here
Much cuter than I will be behind the wheel

(1) But how do you do anything?  Like how do you get around?
It's weird how much more walking you do when that's the only option you have.  Especially in the town I spent high-school in - anything I really needed to get to was walking distance.  My best friends were a 5 minute and a 15 minute walk from my house.  And if anything wasn't walking distance, there was a bus.  And in a college town like mine, literally everything is just a walk away.  Even now that I live off campus, I just have to take a 10 minute bus-ride to get to work and school.

(2) But don't you miss the freedom?
Well, I don't think you can really miss something you never had.  But I don't think I ever missed out on anything because I didn't have a car...  Except maybe the better grocery store...I definitely miss out on the better grocery store.

(3) I don't know what I'd do without my car! I could never survive.
Yes you do, and yes you could.  Before you were 16, you didn't have a license and you managed just fine.

(4) Did you, like, do something wrong?
What, like a DUI?  Nope.  Never even drank till I was 21.  And I don't do drugs either.
I was however, scared of the people who did do something wrong and might crash into me.

(5) But why?
Okay...because I was terrified.  I wasn't trying to save the earth, or prove a point, or anything special and admirable like that.  I was, and still am completely terrified of driving.
And for the record, I'm aware that waiting till I'm 21 to get my license is silly - but until now, it's never been a problem.  Points for doing it now?

So what about you?  Is there anything you did or didn't do that people thought was just plain weird?
<3

Facebook     ~     Twitter     ~     Pinterest     ~     Bloglovin'